Surrey Heath Borough Council has successfully prosecuted the previous operator of Mogul Restaurant for failing to comply with food safety regulations following a significant food poisoning outbreak amongst customers at the end of 2022.
The company has been ordered to pay a fine of £25,000, a victim surcharge of £2,000 and the Council’s costs of £14,116.
This prosecution is in addition to the restaurant being temporarily shut under Emergency Prohibition provisions to protect further risk of ill health to the public at the time of the outbreak whilst the necessary improvements were made.
Councillor Shaun Macdonald, Leader, Surrey Heath Borough Council said;
“I’d like to thank the Environmental Health and Legal teams at our Council for their hard work bringing this particularly complex investigation and prosecution case to its successful conclusion.
I’d also like to take this opportunity to remind all food businesses in the borough of their food safety responsibilities. These are laid out in law and the Council will not hesitate to take action against those who do not prepare food safely to the required standards. We want residents and other guests to really enjoy eating out and having special times with friends and family, without any concerns for their well-being, by ensuring the highest food hygiene standards are in place.”
The Council’s Environmental Health team works with businesses to ensure they are safe and hygienic. Enforcement action is only taken when there is a risk to health or significant or continued breach of food safety legislation.
You can register a food business, make a food complaint and find out about the Food Hygiene Rating Scheme on our website https://www.surreyheath.gov.uk/environment/food-safety